nafex - [NAFEX] did I kill my trees?

  • From: "Richard MURPHY" <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: "nafex" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] did I kill my trees?
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 11:03:53 -0400

Good news;

I have been contacted off-line by a Senior member, and this oddball leaf condition is fairly common in some places. Somehow connected to weather; no rain / lots of rain...
Sorry for the monster photo.
I will shrink them from now on.

BTW... My 1000 smoky saskatoons (zone 4) don't seem to have that leaf disease yet. They all leafed out fine, and some of them are blooming; even some of them in standing water / clay soil..... wow! Most are on a slope. The fungicide Clorothalonil was used as directed, along with Malathion for them damn apple aphids. Too bad folks say I can't mix Lime Sulfur with Malathion; plant damage?? is the claim.

On my apples, however, I used a Lime Sulfur and Permethrin mix last year, all season. No crud, no bugs.
Then, somebody told me that Permethrin wasn't any good for aphids. This fact remains un-checked, and I may even run tests this summer to end the discussion. THe apples never got aphids all year, like they did the year before with 'Fruit Tree Spray' (I know, I know...). FTS is a last resort now.

Murph