nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Delicate seedling planting medium

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Delicate seedling planting medium
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 22:22:03 +0000

What is the brand name of the common commercial stuff-- MetroMix? I think this is what I got. The bag I got was mostly fine peatmoss & composted bark, w/ a little vermiculite. I sifted it thru 1/4" screen for use w/ Amelanchier & Ribes. Ribes are fairly delicate seedlings, doing well, and very tiny fine weeds seem to grow OK in it! My problem has been the various attritions of critters, hail, heavy rain, wind, etc as the season progresses. Another thought is to go see what soil the parent trees are in, and try to find a potting mix similar to that.

You have sprouted these seeds on paper towel or other artificial situation? The main problem will be transfering them to the potting mix without damaging them. I'd bet this will be more important than which potting mix you use.