nafex - [NAFEX] Delicate seedling planting medium

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Delicate seedling planting medium
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 17:12:58 -0400

I had never got any seed to grow from two Alders I was attempting to get an
interspecies cross from - I believe the species were Alnus Obligifolia and
Alnus Manshurica [pardon any spelling mistakes] - and I cut both trees down
this spring - but I gathered seed in fall - kept at room temperature -
planted in spagnum moss this spring - and to my surprise now have one
germinated. I had numerous times before cold-wet stratified seed with never
germination. This is an extremely small + delicate seedling and wish to ask
opinions as to best medium to plant into for best chance survival. My
thoughts are: 1] more long-strand moss 2] peat moss 3] Miracle-Grow potting
ng mix 4] _________you suggest.