nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Miller Nursery is sneaky

  • From: "Dennis Norton" <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Miller Nursery is sneaky
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 15:01:28 -0500

For those who may be looking for a good nursery to work with, http://ssfruit.cas.psu.edu/appendix/appendix1.htm has a list of recommended tree fruit nurseries and a good Appendix at http://ssfruit.cas.psu.edu/appendix.htm. In fact, their overall web site at http://tfpg.cas.psu.edu/default.htm is quite resourceful. Cummins is also on the list that I know many of you have used for rootstocks. We use Adams County, Stark Bros. and Van Well, although we had a problem with Stark trees this spring having insufficient roots on their Bud 9. They are standing behind them and have offered to replace any tree that kicks the bucket (the word doesn't refer to our modern bucket at all, but to a sixteenth century word that comes from the French buque, meaning a yoke or similar piece of wood. It is said that the word was applied in particular to the beam from which a pig was hung in order to be slaughtered. Inevitably, the pig would struggle during the process, and would kick the buque) within the next 6 months.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "sherwindu" <sherwindu@comcast.net>