nafex - [NAFEX] Miller Nursery is sneaky

  • From: sherwindu <sherwindu@comcast.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Miller Nursery is sneaky
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 11:32:25 -0500

My neighbors were looking for a quick solution to give them a privacy and
noise
screen for their backyard. They found something called 'Tall Hedge' in
Miller's
catalog and paid about 8 dollars each for them. I was curious about this
variety, and when I checked it out, it turned out to be a variety of
Buckthorn.
Miller did mention
that sales were prohibited to Minnesota, but did not say why, and nowhere in
the
ad
did they use the description Buckthorn. Buckthorn is a major pest, crowding
out

native tree species. Various municipalities and forest management people are
spending big bucks to rid their area of this intrusive plant. Why is Miller
selling this
stuff and keeping it a big secret? This goes hand in hand with their policy
of
not telling people what rootstocks their fruit trees are planted on. They
survive on deception of the public, taking advantage of people who don't know
better.