nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple flavor

  • From: "Dennis Norton" <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: <Jwlehman@aol.com>
  • Cc: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple flavor
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 10:50:18 -0500

Hello Jerry,

For those folks who prefer a soft dry apple, we have those varieties  like Red Free, McIntosh,  Jonagored, Enterprise and Jonamac that begin to soften about 4-6 weeks after harvest or are naturally softer varieties.

Apples stored in RA storage (Regular Atmospheric) even when treated with Tsuami 100, will still break down and eventually rot.  Apples stored at 34 F still produce ethylene and create heat which in turn breaks down the cell structure which is what causes apples to soften and eventually rot.  To avoid a cooler full of rotten apples in January or February, we give all of our "still good" apples to the Society of St. Andrews for their food pantries.  If we had CA storage (Controlled Atmospheric) we could store the apples longer and extend our sales into the spring, but we do not need to add the additional costs and overhead which would not be offset by the additional sales, since only about 2% of our total sales comes from wholesale.  We are only open from July through November 15 and sell via internet through December 20 or so and after that we close for the season.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com