nafex - Re: [NAFEX] currant events

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] currant events
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 23:23:31 -0800

Those currants are dried Zante grapes, ake currant grapes, aka champagne grapes.  No, they don’t make Champagne from them.  They’re very small, good-flavored grapes.   Small and dark, like black currants.  Maybe the marketers think they look like Champagne bubbles?  So dried Zante grapes are called currants, and dried currants are called – dried currants.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.

USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,

Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate