nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ripening red delicious

  • From: "Jim Notkey" <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: "Dennis Norton <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>, North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ripening red delicious
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 21:46:07 -0500

I find the ripening dates for my apples are different each year, sometimes by 2 or 3 weeks.
This year Red June ripened early, in late June rather than the more usual July 4-10.
But Lady Williams ripened much later than the "usual" mid-December, first sweetened up, got dark seeds, and passed the uplifted stem test on December 22, and I still have several hanging on the tree after about 8 nights below 20 degrees.

Jim Nottke
Zone 6-7