nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Citron

  • From: Doc Lisenby <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Citron
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 09:33:12 -0500

Tom, ask around among farmers in NorCar. Citron was an undesirable pest plant found among watermelon patches back in the thirties, forties and fifties. I suppose its seed got mixed in with the seed growers watermelon seed. It will grow in the piedmont and coastal regions of the State, that's for sure. I don't know about the mountain region. We'd stomp them when we found them which probably made them spread even more the next year. Some people preserved them for fruitcakes but would only take one or two. I used to give them to people from cooler regions as a joke telling them that they were yellow watermelons. They are worthless for eating purposes, except for preserved citron as far as I know.
Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8