nafex - Re: [NAFEX] climate zone maps

  • From: Andriy Palamarchuk <apa3a@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] climate zone maps
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 13:38:16 -0800 (PST)

Peter,
thank you for the link.

It seems the zone database you referred is not the
version provided by USDA, but build on the data used
for the next version of USDA map which is right now in
development. The web site you pointed to actually uses
services of www.arborday.org which contains pretty
cool page about this map including an image and
differences with the old USDA map:
http://www.arborday.org/media/Zones.cfm

http://www.arborday.org/media/zonechanges.cfm
Check it out.

This may explain what you found it not terribly
accurate - it just contains different zone information
than the old map!

>From what I understand new version of USDA hardiness
map is being developed by American Horticultural
Society (AHS). The 2003 draft of the map is of very
high quality:
http://www.ahs.org/pdfs/USDA_Map_3.03.pdf
In contrast to all other zone maps online this one
contains vector image built from actual geographic
shapes. As result it is much more accurate, does not
lose information and allows big zoom levels (try to
download and zoom it to 1600% and you'll understand
what I'm talking about).

Here is more information about the project:
http://www.tropicalesque.com/pg_zone_maps.html

Enjoy,
Andriy
Eastern MA, Zone 6