nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Climate zone maps

  • From: "Dave Griffin" <griffingardens@earthlink.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Climate zone maps
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 11:32:27 -0600

Hi Tom,

This is the good old Fruit Explorer attitude I like to see!

Zone maps are variable within, tree ratings vary from catalog to catalog,
there are different kinds of hardiness and heat requirements and how you
grow a tree makes a huge difference that nobody takes that into account at
all. There are too many variables so pick something close and see what
happens. If you want a sure thing grow only what everyone else around you
has grown for as long as anyone can remember or go to the grocery store for
your fruit. What fun is that ?

I have a Warren pear discovered in Mississippi and growing quite happily in
winter shade on the other of the river where the Big Muddy is a wild and
scenic canoe route. If I hadn't been dumb enough to plant a zone 5 (or some
say z 6) tree in zone 4a I'd be eating nothing but Ure, John, David,
Summercrisp, etc. pears. The good thing about planting a tree that dies is
that you have the perfect place ready to plant something else when it does,
and now you really do know what won't work for you.

Dave
Central MN - looking for a few good Muscadines to breed with.

used to change other email options):