nafex - Re: [NAFEX] rabbiteye blueberries in KY

  • From: "hector black" <hblack1925@fastmail.fm>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] rabbiteye blueberries in KY
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 18:36:54 -0600

We have wonderful production and excellent flavor on our two rabbit eye varieties here. We planted 25% Climax and 75% Tifblue. Some people prefer one, some the other. We picked berries from the last week of June until the second week of Sept. Now that's a long time for any fruit to be in production. The only time we had serious damage was when it went to 28 below zero F. maybe 18 years ago. There was a bit of snow and they froze to the snow line. Lost one year's production. Bushes are about 26 years old and I have a hard time keeping them at 5-6 ft. Climax is particularly upright growing. Soil being alkaline, we used wettable sulfur for the first 7 years or so.
Hector Black zone 6 middle TN
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lucky Pittman" <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>