nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fruit for Georgia

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fruit for Georgia
  • Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 16:41:22 -0600

At 01:21 PM 12/9/2005, Doc L. wrote:
Centennial Crab is my favorite apple??

Centennial worked well for my dad, at Auburn, down at the zone 7/8 interface, and I like it a lot, too. Tasty little apple, but mine goes mealy if you don't start eating them once they start showing some red color.
Yates, a north GA-origin apple gets good reviews from some folks, and there's an outfit out of Tuskeegee(The Wildlife Group?) that sells both Yates, and my favorite, Callaway crab, for folks to plant out on hunting properties as 'soft mast' crops.
Callaway, though small(1-1.5" fruits), and now classified more as an ornamental than an edible crab, is tasty, a heavy bearer, and pretty disease-resistant.

Mr. James Lawson, if he's still operating his nursery at Ball Ground GA, used to offer a good selection of fruit trees/berries that were proven to produce in GA.
Johnson Nursery (in Ellijay, if I remember correctly)would probably be another good GA fruit nursery to visit or communicate with.

Lucky