nafex - [NAFEX] rabbiteye blueberries in KY

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] rabbiteye blueberries in KY
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 16:49:23 -0600

Donna & all,
I've got several rabbiteye bushes - variety unknown - they're some my dad rooted from some of the plants in his planting back home. They're doing just fine here in southern west-central KY, bloom(I presume - haven't really paid all that much attention) and ripen their fruit after the northern highbushes are finished, so they prolong my season significantly. Heavier production than the northern highbush types, but I will say that the variety my dad gave me is not as tasty to eat out-of-hand as are most of the NH types - but they're just fine for cooking, and not bad to eat - just don't seem to be as sweet as the NHs.
I'm looking at putting in more rabbiteye varieties, and fewer northern highbush.
I've planted a couple of the Southern highbushes - O'Neal, Ozarkblue,(don't think I've put in a Georgia Gem), but have been pretty unimpressed with their vigor; they just haven't done much.

Lucky