nafex - Re: [NAFEX] persimmon grafting

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] persimmon grafting
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 10:57:37 -0600

At 10:46 PM 11/19/2005, Mark wrote:
I have had zero success with persimmons. I wonder if it has to do with my
rootstock. I have a persimmon seedling that is a full tree. I graft onto a
few branches and let the rest of the tree just grow normally. I don't try
to check the new growth on the rest of the tree. I can get away with this
on apples. Do I need to do things differently with persimmon grafts?

I'll defer to Jerry for the definitive answer, but like yourself, I've had dismally poor results - if not total failure, in trying to foster grafts onto branches of mature persimmons.
Even with young seedlings, I've had trouble keeping topworked grafts growing well, if the rootstock has branches present below the graft. Did manage it with one seedling in the orchard this year, but I had to consistently - about twice a week - pinch out terminal buds or break over new growth that kept sprouting out on the branches below the graft - and I'll probably prune those limbs off whenever growth initiates this spring.
All in all, I prefer a rootstock with no branching, so that it's putting all its energy into pushing growth on the grafted scion - and I'll say it again - you've got to follow up; at least every couple of days, you've got to rub off any new shoots pushing out on the scion - and you may have to continue to do this for weeks.

LLP