nafex - Re: [NAFEX] persimmon grafting

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] persimmon grafting
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 08:26:09 -0600

At 08:45 AM 11/16/2005, Lee wrote:
Now, grafting persimmons...that's where I have not been as successful. I get only about 50 percent take with whip and tongue grafts made when rootstocks start sprouting leaves. Many persimmon stems are deciduous, so one theory that I have is that many of the grafts that don't take were made with stems that would have been deciduous, so don't live.

Lee,
First persimmons I grafted, I just did simple whip grafts - just like I'd been doing on apples & pears - got 100% success(2 of 2); I didn't know that persimmons were supposed to be difficult to graft.
I now do all persimmons as simple bark grafts, and as long as the scions aren't damaged(frozen in storage, tender varieties winter-damaged prior to collection, excessively dessicated, etc.), I get success rates well in excess of 85%.
I don't believe that I can accept your theory about 'deciduous' branches relating to graft failure, however.

From my own experience, I suspect most persimmon graft failures are due to insufficient aftercare - you have to check them almost on a daily basis, for several weeks, to keep rootstock shoots rubbed off, or the stock will channel all resources into pushing its own shoots, rather than callusing and pushing growth on the scion.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7