nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grafted Pine Trees

  • From: Charles Rhora <rhoras@nuttrees.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grafted Pine Trees
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 13:09:39 -0400

Mr. Romborough,

I read with great interest your question about the grafted Pinus trees. Do they have too be grafted trees? I ask this question because I have worked with these edible nut pines for now over 30 years. We have a selection of over 11 varieties including one variety you had mentioned (Pinus edulis). Unfortunately the other variety Pinus pinea will not survive in our Zone 4 (temperatures to minus - 35 degrees F.) At the present time we are exploring the northern limits of the Pinus pinea in hope of obtaining seed which would be adaptable to our climate. We originally started with seed collected from Sweden, Russia, Siberia, Mongolia, China and Northern Japan. We also tried some grafted varieties of the pines. Much to our dismay we found as time went along, the grafted trees showed incomparability in some cases, then the production of cones were delayed by several years. Also the grafted trees cones were mostly blank nuts. So we discarded the grafted trees and have since devoted all of our time to the seedlings. We found that the Korean pine would produce cones as early as 7 years from seed ( we started with the Korean pine first). The other edible nut pines have shown that they will bear cones much earlier than reported in some of the books and articles written on the pines. For example, the Swiss stone pine will bear cones by the age of 8 years from seed. Of the trees producing cones and the edible nuts, we have not had any problem with the squirrels or other animals bothering them as the cones produce an abundance of resin which locks the nuts into the cones. 85 percent of the cones fall to the ground for harvesting. Once the cones are gathered they are air dried for 2 weeks and the cones open allowing one easy access to the pine nuts. As an added precaution we planted a grove of hazelnuts close to our orchards.
For further information, please refer to our website at www.nuttrees.com.

Charles Rhora, Zone 4, Ontario