nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grafted Pine Trees

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grafted Pine Trees
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:39:02 -0700

We have a cabin in the Sierra, and there is no shortage of trees producing good edible pine nuts.  Even a short drive away, or in town, or next door, one can find some trees producing edible pine nuts.  The problem is that the squirrels and chicories find them first, and have a much easier time climbing the tall trees and harvesting the nuts.  I have long been a collector of edible foods, starting when I was a wee lad on forest walks with my grandfather.  There was a time in my late teens and twenties when I would challenge myself to get by on wild edibles for a few days at a time.  In all those foraging forays, I collected maybe four pine nuts.  I think my only chance to grow them is a dwarf Siberian pine, which could be netted.  I’m a zone away from where it’s happy, but zone 8 plants seem to do fine here.

Rhora’s nursery (he’s a member) http://www.nuttrees.com/ has many pine nut trees, and carries inoculants to help them grow and produce.  They have trees that have borne from seed in 5 years.

Meanwhile, should any of y’all want to produce something pine nutty in a hurry, try growing pumpkins with hull-less seeds.  Is that how one would spell hull-less?  Hyphened? Two els?  Three?  The spelling of the word and the spelling of the letter ‘L’ (el and ell are both accepted) both look odd.  Maybe I just need more coffee, and less Scrabble.  Anyway, pumpkin seeds make an excellent pine nut substitute in cooking.  Not in growing, as what they grow is viney, not piney…

(topic police, please note that pumpkin is a fruit)

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.

USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,

Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate