nafex - Re: [NAFEX] english walnut - no production

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] english walnut - no production
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 12:35:45 -0500

Paul,
As a 20-year member of the NNGA, I do remember reading that "the average
english walnut seedling is a poor producer of pollen". If your two walnuts
were grafts, a clear distinction between stock and scion would probably be
obvious at the base of the trees - i.e. the furrowed bark of black walnut
would abruptly change to the smooth whitish bark of the english walnut. It
makes perfect sense for the nuts to appear in some years and not others.
Would more pollen make more nuts? Almost certainly.
Charlie Paradise
massachusetts