nafex - [NAFEX] english walnut - no production

  • From: "Paul Cabe" <CabeP@wlu.edu>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] english walnut - no production
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 10:57:21 -0400

I have two mature English walnuts in the front yard of my home.
Although the trees are quite old, I've only known them for two seasons.
These are big trees (40+ feet) with spreading crowns, and they flower
heavily in the spring.

For the two summers I have watched them, they have set virtually no
nuts. I know they do sometimes from the previous owner, and I have
found old shells while working around the yards.

Why no production? Do I maybe need a pollenizer?

thanks,
Paul Cabe
Zone 6b, in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

Paul R. Cabe, PhD
Associate Professor of Biology
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450