nafex - Re: [NAFEX] What's your opinion on these? (apples)

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@containerseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] What's your opinion on these? (apples)
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 11:04:41 -0400

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 15:56:32 -0600, you wrote:
>But the Bramley is a star: it has an acidic, yet fragrant, apple
>flavour and it cooks to a fluffiness not required in French dishes but
>very much part of English cooking through the ages - as English as
>apple pie.

This is amusing to me: my husband is English. He says he
likes Bramleys simply because they are very large apples.
Not nearly as poetic. :)

>And if you like apple recipes try this one and see if you can find a
>good substitute for Bramley and Cox. (I suspect a cider apple would be
>best). Also does anyone know what a dry cider is that they use to soak
>the raisins in?

This is an alcoholic beverage made from cider, and it is
available in the USA. I have always seen it sold in bottles
like beer bottles. Liquor stores carry it, even here in our
very rural area. It's just called 'cider' so far as I know.

>http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/r_0000001041.asp
>
>notice that the Brits used two different varieties of apple in their
>"pie". I think they like apple pie even more than we Yanks. I saved
>this recipe simply because I like both raisins and apples. However I
>don't know what two varieties of apples to use. I suspect I'll use
>Granny Smith as one and perhaps Gala as the other as I don't have
>access to any of the "flavored apples". Anyone ever taste one of
>England's Bramley pies.

I have. My mother-in-law (in England) made it.

It tasted just like an American apple pie to me (for
example, one made from Stayman Winesaps), except much less
sweet (because of much less, if any, sugar being added). I
don't know if the very small amount (if any) of sweetening
was typical - or just her particular way of making apple
pie.

I also had an apple-blackberry pie in England, made by a
friend. Wow, was that ever good!

Pat

--
ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb, fruit, and
edible flower seeds for successful container growing.