nafex - [NAFEX] how to prepare clingstone fruit

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] how to prepare clingstone fruit
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:28:37 -0700

Jelly’s the obvious suggestion for a clingstone, of course; and juice, either accomplished with the use of a steam juicer.

Rather than thinking in terms of freeing the stone from the flesh, think the other way around to separate the two:

Slice a thin piece of fruit off the bottom and stand the fruit upright, the fruit’s ‘fold’ perpendicular to you, on a cutting board.  That thin slice is just to provide a little stability, it’s not necessary.  Insert a narrow thin-bladed knife (boning or filleting knife) or paring knife just to the side of the stem.  Slice downward and work the blace smoothly and close to the side of the pit to release most of one half of the fruit.  Do the same on the other side for one more large piece (these pieces are called ‘hands’) and then slice away fruit from the two thinner remaining sides to get little fruit ‘fingers’.

Then dry, can, eat, dice, bake into pie or otherwise use any old way you want.

This is a quick and clean method for any clingstone fruit.  Even apples can be neatly removed from the core with four downward slices.  I cut apples and pears straight down rather than trying to curve around the center.  Peeled mangos and pineapples, too, are quickly rendered into pieces easily sliced or diced.

Stephen