nafex - [NAFEX] ripening harvest

  • From: "Michelle Horner" <shelly2@wi.rr.com>
  • To: "nafex" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] ripening harvest
  • Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 18:14:51 -0500

Oh-ma'-gosh.   Stuff is ripening even when I am not supervising it!

All of Pristen is on the ground.  I did find a number of unblemished fruits--they are very sweet.  Hubbie likes these a lot.

Plucked a beautiful Zesta off the tree--green background with the most beautiful bright red cheek in the sun.  This is more to my tastes--crisp and somewhat tart.

1 green gage plum--it is dark purple???

And the Shiro is loaded.  I will have to harvest tomorrow.  I do not known what to do with these.  I discovered they are NOT a free stone plum.  The branches are lined with golden globes--just like the pictures.  The flavor is wonderful, but now I appreciate the description "freestone".  Maybe I'll have to bring to work and feed the hordes.  Other suggestions??

I am surprised with the yields.  We have been very droughty.  I just dried the rest of my apricot harvest that I held in the outside refidge for 3 weeks while we attend weddings and funerals.

I'm thinking apple-caramel cobbler for Sunday brunch.  I'll take any suggestions for the Shiro plums harvest.  Wine???

Michelle Horner
Zone 4/5  SE Wis.