nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apple suggestions

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apple suggestions
  • Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 11:45:13 -0500

Hi Deb,
I would stay away from dwarf trees if you have "HEAVY" clay. They will not
thrive
or even survive competing in the dense matter. Also, avoid those trees
described as
extremely or very vigorous, as they will be prone to nitrogen deficiency in
heavy
clay. No, do not bother with Honeycrisp. Many growers in Massachusetts have
tons of
problems with it, as more observations show it a particular grower to more
north
temperate regions.
I generally suggest people grow things that they cannot get in the store,
which may
seem backward, but my logic is: if you can buy decent ones cheap already, why
not
get the flavors you would never find in any market at home?
So stick with a heavy soil tolerant semi-dwarf rootstock, or prune the yeck
out of
a standard tree to get it bearing in six years. In a small orchard, also be
careful
of ordering many varieties that are non-pollinators (ie their pollen is
sterile).
Sounds like you may also want a little fireblight resistance considering your
location.
Hope this helps!
Heron Breen
zone 4, Maine

On Fri Aug 5 7:43 , Deb Schneider <debs@yahoo.com> sent:

>I tend to get really enthusiastic over catalog descriptions.  Before I rush
>off
and buy inappropriate things, I thought I'd ask for some suggestions on
apples to
add to my little orchard.
>Conditions: SE Ohio in the Appalachian hills...zone 5 or 6 depending on what
>map
you look at.  HEAVY clay soils.  Planting area is on a hillside that runs
east
(high) to west (low).  We get a good amount of rainfall most years and
occassional
late spring hard frosts.
>I currently have one tree planted, a Queen Cox.  I also have a wild apple
>tree
about 75 yards from the site that blooms, but has never set fruit.  I picked
the
Queen Cox because it is supposed to be self-fruitful and I hoped to have some
fruit
while I gradually planted other pollinators.  This tree is two years old and
doing
great so far.  I would prefer something dwarf or semi-dwarf.
>Store bought apples we like include Honeycrisp, Gala, Winesap, Cameo.  Want
>apples
that are good for fresh eating or drying. Storage ability can be moderate.
We
don't do cider or a lot of cooking with apples, but if we had one that made
good
sauce as well as fresh eating that would be fine. (BTW, not fond of
Macintosh,
Jonathan, Red Delicious, or Rome type apples).
>I had considered getting Honeycrisp...but was not sure it would do well in
>this
climate.