nafex - [NAFEX] Hardy Mulberry?

  • From: "Rodney Eveland" <reveland@collinscom.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Hardy Mulberry?
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 22:14:12 -0600

Today I made a trip to Worland Wyoming where I picked up some seeds of
a biennial flower called Hanging Cypress (tubular red flowers that
attract hummers - blooms middle of July to middle Sept.) and some Snow
on the Mountain (grows about 2 feet high and turns mostly white in
full sun). Then I went looking for a purple flowered locust which
survives their Winters. I didn't find the locust but I met the Chief
of Police who is a tree aficionado and the GreenTurf tree care man.
They both promised to look for this tree next spring. The neighbor of
the police chief has a royal paulownia tree that is 31 years old. It
dies to the ground every winter and grows back 8-10 feet tall every
summer. He also has a mulberry that he planted many years ago that has
survived the Winters in Worland. He can't remember what year he
planted it but it is over 20 years old, grows vigorously and produces
a huge crop most years. The sparse fruit it has this year is mostly
white with a tinge of pink. They tell me that the winter of 83/84 was
very cold with temps well below zero for weeks on end with lows in
the -40s. So next year I will try to root some cuttings to see if the
offspring will do well for me too as we rarely see -30F. It was also a
very good shade tree although it needs trimming every year in order to
walk under it.

The other neighbor of the police chief has a battery powered device
that detects the motion of anything that has a 2 degree F. temp.
change and turns on a an impact sprinkler head for 3 bursts of spray,
waits a bit and repeats if it again senses motion. He uses it to keep
cats out of his herbs. He says it works quite well and keeps dogs and
kids away too. He said he got it from yardiac.com. I checked it out
and it is called a scarecrow motion activated sprinkler. I am not
trying to sell these, just offering the website for info as I'm pretty
sure you can find these cheaper at other sites. If nothing else you
can always use it to keep your gardening spouse cool on hot summer
days.;-) All in all a pretty good trip.

http://www2.yardiac.com/long.asp?tgs=14500580:49934968&cart_id=&item_id=929
is the site that has an explanation.

P.S. I also learned that North Dakota does get chinook winds (in
July).

Rodney in NE Wyoming.