nafex - [NAFEX] apple suggestions

  • From: Deb Schneider <debs@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] apple suggestions
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 06:43:16 -0700 (PDT)

I tend to get really enthusiastic over catalog descriptions.  Before I rush off and buy inappropriate things, I thought I'd ask for some suggestions on apples to add to my little orchard.

Conditions: SE Ohio in the Appalachian hills...zone 5 or 6 depending on what map you look at.  HEAVY clay soils.  Planting area is on a hillside that runs east (high) to west (low).  We get a good amount of rainfall most years and occassional late spring hard frosts.

I currently have one tree planted, a Queen Cox.  I also have a wild apple tree about 75 yards from the site that blooms, but has never set fruit.  I picked the Queen Cox because it is supposed to be self-fruitful and I hoped to have some fruit while I gradually planted other pollinators.  This tree is two years old and doing great so far.  I would prefer something dwarf or semi-dwarf.

Store bought apples we like include Honeycrisp, Gala, Winesap, Cameo.  Want apples that are good for fresh eating or drying. Storage ability can be moderate.  We don't do cider or a lot of cooking with apples, but if we had one that made good sauce as well as fresh eating that would be fine. (BTW, not fond of Macintosh, Jonathan, Red Delicious, or Rome type apples).

I had considered getting Honeycrisp...but was not sure it would do well in this climate.

Suggestions or ideas?

deb