nafex - [NAFEX] purslane

  • From: "Dianne Stephany" <iluvdanc@rochester.rr.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] purslane
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:31:43 -0400

Donna wrote:
One weed I find interesting is purslane, called "plant mercury" in China because it concentrates mercury. If I remember correctly, you can get 2 oz mercury per ton of plant.

That is interesting about the purslane concentrating mercury. I had read that it also is a good source of vitamin C and had considered adding it to my salads, but not now with the possiobility of mercury.
Rochester NY had the driest May on record and one of the coldest- so I haven't seen many insects at all, no Japanese beetles.

Dianne Stephany