nafex - [NAFEX] Purslane, mercury and weeds

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Purslane, mercury and weeds
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:30:53 -0700

Purslane, contrary to mythology, is not high in mercury - it is, however,
high in omega-3 acids, and a really healthy veg! I wonder why the Chinese
thought it was high? In Taoist views, a plant low in lead - like purslane -
was necessarily described is high in mercury, the Taoist metallic opposite
of lead (lead, heavy and dense; mercury, light and liquid). Taoists thought
that mercuric property to be healthy, and Chinese herbal medicines to this
day are frequently high in actual mercury, assayed through more modern
science than when the Taoists were ascribing these metallic properties.
Remember, western 'science' at the same time postulated that wood
'contained' fire.

Weed, defined:

The way I learned it, all plants have some use, so usefulness or uselessness
does not describe a 'weed'. A weed is simply a perfectly good plant that's
where someone doesn't want it to be.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate