nafex - [NAFEX] cherry budwood question

  • From: mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] cherry budwood question
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:48:33 -0400

 I have had some success with whip&tongue grafting cherries.  But it required me to either graft
incredibly early (before February 15th), or after the stock had begun to leaf out.  In the second
case, I bagged the graft to keep it from drying out.

I haven't had success in budding cherries, but my overall budding success is low.

The bad news is that 2/3 of my cherry trees are on GM 51 (and the 3rd dwarfing rootstock is unknown).  To paraphrase Jim Cummins when I heard speak at a Nafex conference:
"Beautifully dwarfed tree, but no fruit"

Some of the scion wood were from not particularly productive trees so I may have compounded my problems.  I'm considering starting to grow the sweeter tart cherries and give up on the sweets.

*SIGH*

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6
40° 5' N 75° 51'W