nafex - [NAFEX] precocity and pollination

  • From: Jason MacArthur <rotread@localnet.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] precocity and pollination
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 06:02:23 -0400

On June 16 Derry Walsh wrote:

"The temperature has to be above 14°C (57°F) for the pollen to be fertile.
Did you have pollinators present?"

Yes, there were pollinators present and pollination on most of my varieties was good, only the variety Major, which bloomed the heaviest, set such a small crop. For this reason I'm tempted to believe it is a varietal trait- produce a lot of blossoms as a young tree but only set a few. Is this a tendency that some varieties have?