nafex - [NAFEX] Precocity and pollination

  • From: Jason MacArthur <rotread@localnet.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Precocity and pollination
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 06:24:03 -0400

I have a small orchard of cider apples in Vermont, and this year will be 3rd leaf for my trees. This year my Major trees on M9 rootstock produced a "snowball bloom" during good weather and with good pollinating varieties in bloom nearby, and yet when all was said and done they ended up with a very small crop. Is this typical for young trees- they produce far more blooms than they can turn into apples? Or should I be looking at other explanations, such as micronutrient deficiencies, cold damage, etc.?
Happy cidering!

Jason MacArthur
Marlboro, Vt.