nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Neem and Surround

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, breen@fedcoseeds.com
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Neem and Surround
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 20:47:54 -0400

On Jun 9, 2005, at 8:30 PM, Heron Breen wrote:

It is interesting that present experiments with botanical extracts would be
considered snake oil by anyone.
No doubt many botanical extracts have valuable properties. But new stuff, stuff being marketed, stuff being researched, etc. tends to be oversold. Some of it may work, and some may not. I'm a big fan of scientific studies, personally, for both botanicals and other treatments.

In terms of human health, my child's pediatrician assures me that thyme and oregano
oil and teas are the best thing for many colds and flus
According to several clinical trials, Listerine is more effective than most of the other mouthwashes. This surprised the researchers, because they assumed the only active ingredient was the alcohol, and all the products have similar alcohol levels. But the thyme, etc, seem to make a difference.

In terms of snake oil, folks using Imidan (phosmet) should research its potential
link to Mad Cow disease in England. This is may be another Chilean-level fruit
scare lurking for us all.
Not sure what you mean by this. The Chilean fruit scare was one bunch of intentionally poisoned grapes designed to warn Chile not to offend America and risk its critical market. I don't think mad cow disease is intentional nor that it has any political value. (Except maybe for vegetarians, but I don't think they had anything to do with it.)

Ginda