nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Neem and Surround

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Neem and Surround
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 19:30:46 -0500

It is interesting that present experiments with botanical extracts would be
considered snake oil by anyone. Most of our modern healthcare products have
their
origin in botanical compounds or homeopathic medicine concepts of dosage of
elements and diseased organisms to stimulate immune response.
Kaolin clay, ie Surround (sucks that folks think they can only use the
branded
product) originated with an idea over 50 years ago in biodynamic farming for
coating the fruit tree with clay and manure. Today, the research into
biodynamics
and low energy emission/electron coating is very effective. Essential oils
are
breaking ground as repellants as well as fungicides and bacteriacides.
Pennyroyal
oil is being trialed to repel Plum Curculio. Most of this type of research is
being
done in Europe, India, and China.
In terms of human health, my child's pediatrician assures me that thyme and
oregano
oil and teas are the best thing for many colds and flus and dosage-rated
products
of each may well be the answer to anti-biotic resistance. He expects its
usuage in
common medical practice within 10 years. Also, extracts of mushrooms have
become
the new treatments for cancers and HIV/AIDS. There have been literally
hundreds of
studies dealing with mushroom/mycelium extracts. And I will quote from the
small
print on many medical release forms: Medicine and Diagnosis are arts, not
exact
sciences.
Many of us forget that Homeopathic medicine theory is the basis for all
vaccinations and most diagnostics techniques in use today. We also tend to
forget
that Synthetic petrol fertilizers and pest/herb icides have passed through
less
oversight before approval than any botanical extract. Money and advertising
is the
reason our pesticides are what they are today.
In terms of snake oil, folks using Imidan (phosmet) should research its
potential
link to Mad Cow disease in England. This is may be another Chilean-level
fruit
scare lurking for us all. I think the true definition of snake oil is when
the
medicine does more harm than good, not that it does nothing.
In short, nothing is safe. SO I would rather spray halfway effective pixie
dust
than organo-phosphate neuro-disruptors. Funny how we accept the "nuclear
option" in
reference to disease and pest damage, rather than fixing our expectations in
severely broken agricultural system. Ignorance=consequences for us all. For
interesting research across a lot of topics, become a member of E-prints. Its
an
online access point for scientific papers.
Tons of research out there. Nothing a little Garlic and Horseradish and
vinegar
won't help.
Heron Breen
zone 4, Maine