nafex - [NAFEX] Northern Spy a Keeper!

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Northern Spy a Keeper!
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 01:05:48 -0500

TO report in, I have retrieved the last of the good apples from my basement.
About
30 Northern Spys were rescued from mush and hairy ones. All other varieties
have
long been mush including a supposedly legendary keeper Black Oxford. Almost
all of
these 30 N.S. where of good eating quality, but of mellow flavor. Not soft or
waxy,
the flesh was a cross of tender and slightly crisp. I am up late eating
another
piece of Apple-blueberry (lowbush wild) crisp. Apples retrieved from the
rootcellar
6-5-05 1pm. Never knew the N.S. could keep so well so long, and it is the
family
favorite in the fall-Holiday period.
Yum,
Heron Breen