nafex - [NAFEX] Re: nafex Digest, Vol 29, Issue 16

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: nafex Digest, Vol 29, Issue 16
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 17:35:38 -0400

Hal,
Our various black currants are black well before they are ripe, hence
we net them once they turn. On certain varieties, the sugars go up
quite a bit over time, even when some of the other 'ripe' signs are
already there. The bird netting we use lasts for years, and we move
it from bush to bush as various small fruits ripen.
Richard Moyer
Bristol, TN

> Message: 7
> Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 10:50:00 -0500
> From: "Hal Love" <lovehd@comcast.net>
> Subject: [NAFEX] Black Currants ripe?
> To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
>
> How long after black currants turn black are they actually considered ripe?
> I know they can be left on the bush after ripening for a week or more, but
> the birds are destroying them quickly, and I would like to try to pick a few
> this year. They only seem to last a couple of days after turning before the
> birds peck holes in them (they don't appear to eat them).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Hal
> zn 6 TN

  • [NAFEX] Re: nafex Digest, Vol 29, Issue 16, Richard Moyer, 06/06/2005