nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bagging Apples Experiment - Questions

  • From: "Biz Storms" <biz.storms@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bagging Apples Experiment - Questions
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 10:49:45 -0400

Speaking of keepers...
I bagged some Mutsu apples on the tree a year ago when they where only 1
inch diameter. I used simple plastic sandwich bags to prevent worm
holes from codling moth and apple fly maggot. I left the apples in the
bags when I picked them last October, and stored them in my frig. I
just ate the last of these on June 2. It was still crisp, juicy and
sweet.

I am about to purchase bags to try a bagging experiment. Bag some, spray Surround on some, and leave a few alone. I have questions for Mark, and anyone else who has tried this technique. Did you use regular weight sandwich bags or a heavier weight?; if the bag started to accumulate rain water, did you pierce small holes on the bottom for drainage or leave the water inside?; did any little critters get inside?; what was the width of the opening for the stem - 1/2", 3/4"?; at what point did you remove the bags so the apples would gain some colour? ( Mark - did you remove any bags or leave 100% intact ); any other weird or neat things happen?

I did read over the previous listings, plus any articles I could find, but sometimes first hand info gives different information - especially things to avoid.
Is anyone else going to try bagging this year, and want to share information? Thanks.

Cheers, Bizmark,
Zone 5, Creemore, Ontario