nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bagging Apples Experiment - Questions

  • From: "Biz Storms" <biz.storms@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bagging Apples Experiment - Questions
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 00:43:52 -0400

Thanks to everyone who shared their experiences with me regarding my apple bagging queries. I bagged apples on the weekend using sealable sandwich bags and discovered that the bags often were too long above the sealing strip when the apples have a short stem. A small pair of curved nail scissors did the trick by cutting a smile into the edge leaving room for the bag to sit more comfortably around the top of the apple. Although fiddly, it was only necessary a handful of times. The next day a few little ants were found inside some of the bags, which meant that either the corner holes were too big, or that the tops weren't sealed close enough to the stems. I replaced these with tightly sealed bags, after looking for any evidence of bug damage, and will watch for water accumulation. If all goes well we should be enjoying about 40 to 45 different apple varieties, without having to dodge any blemishes. The plastic bags with the drawstrings, mentioned in a previous entry, also sound quite appealing.
I so appreciate the information from others and would love to read more comments and see pics as the apples or other fruits ripen.

Cheers, Bizmark
Zone 5, Creemore Ontario, - as our heatwave is finally, or hopefully over.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>