nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Northern Spy a Keeper!

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Northern Spy a Keeper!
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 07:12:51 -0700

Speaking of keepers...
I bagged some Mutsu apples on the tree a year ago when they where only 1
inch diameter. I used simple plastic sandwich bags to prevent worm
holes from codling moth and apple fly maggot. I left the apples in the
bags when I picked them last October, and stored them in my frig. I
just ate the last of these on June 2. It was still crisp, juicy and
sweet. This last one had cracked a little while on the tree, but after
7 months in storage, the crack was still clean and had not gone moldy.
Normally a Mutsu apple in the frig would be all shriveled-up and
inedible by now, but the bagging process had kept the apple fresh.
-Mark Lee, Seattle, zone 8a