nafex - [NAFEX] Fall Planting

  • From: "Rodney Eveland" <reveland@collinscom.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fall Planting
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 20:08:29 -0600

I have to agree with Diane. It depends on your climate....
That pretty much says it all. I recently drove up to Canada to pick up
some honeyberries and check out the availabilty of the SK cherries
(they haven't passed quarantine). They sell small plugs with a root
ball a little larger than a popcycle and the rest of the plant is
perhaps nine to 12 inches. This is because all plants on the arid,
windy plains of Alberta and many of the arid Western States need to
establish their roots before they have to suffer their first winter.
Larger plants may winter kill merely from drying out if something
isn't used to keep them from drying out. Where I live many people buy
a 6-7 foot high tree and then don't plant/water it adequately to make
sure it gets established and the next spring it sprouts from it's
roots and becomes a 9-12 inch high plant by the end of summer. Some
grow a lot higher their second year but if overwatered this 2nd year
all of the succulent growth once again dies to the ground. But if you
live in a wonderful climate where the falls are long then by all means
plant in the fall for great success. It seems that establishing roots
is very important to success which is probably why they recommend
pruning a lot of the top off when transplanting. How much depends on
the plant, your climate and soil and water of course. So many factors
and so little time...........