nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fall Planting

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fall Planting
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 12:48:39 -0700 (PDT)

I'd be cautious of how the bargain plants were handled up until the time you
get
them. Were they stored in a damp cooler, which is good storage except plants
will
dry out eventually. Also, if removed from the cooler late in spring, do they
have
enough time to leaf out, grow a little, and go dormant again, and still have
enough
energy to leaf out next spring? If plants were stored in a garden center
parking
lot, how hot did the root-balls get in the sun, and how often? How many
waterings
were missed?

Re cutting off branches at planting, to "balance" tops w/ roots, the last
thing I
heard on that was "except for extreme imbalance, DON'T prune". More leaves
means
more carbs going into roots, making more roots faster. The trick is watering
these
more, until the roots catch up.