nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fall Planting

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fall Planting
  • Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 22:06:08 -0400

On Jun 4, 2005, at 9:56 PM, Doreen Howard wrote:

Opinions please from all you experts with far more experience in growing fruit than I.

Is it better to plant fruit trees in late summer or early fall than in spring? If so, why? There are plenty of bargains available in late summer, from catalogs and at garden centers. I'm tempted to take advantage of the cheaper prices, especially if there are advantages. With ornamental trees and shrubs, you gain a season's growth with fall planting, or so says the conventional wisdom.
Doreen Howard

I have less experience than you, but I think it depends partly on how cold hardy the plant is in your climate. If it's fully cold-hardy, then it's okay if it's not completely established come winter, and it gets an early start in the spring. If it's marginally cold hardy it is more likely to suffer winter damage and be set back than if it had a full season to establish itself.

For what it's worth, a local horticulturalist told me the middle of the summer is a fine time for planting balled&burlaped trees so long as you water a whole lot until fall. I don't know if I believe him, though. . . (Obviously you can't bare-root an actively growing plant with leaves.)

Ginda