nafex - Re: [NAFEX] planting depth for apricot

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] planting depth for apricot
  • Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 22:43:00 -0400

On Jun 4, 2005, at 10:34 PM, Greg or Marie Jordan wrote:

It is also called the root flair.   The # one cause of residential tree failure is planting to deep.   Another thing to look for is the highest major root is 1-2 inches below grade.
Greg Jordan

Right. But how important is this for grafted apricots? I know people intentionally plant apples "too deep" to get them to form roots from the cultivar. Presumably this doesn't hurt the apple trees too much. It's a huge deal for many shade trees. I really don't know how much it matters for grafted apricots, or any stone fruit. In my clumsy way, that's what I was trying to ask.

Thanks,
Ginda