nafex - [NAFEX] Copper as nutrient or -cide

  • From: Jim Fruth <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Copper as nutrient or -cide
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 08:16:09 -0500

All of the recent debate about copper reminds me of a problem that I had
with my blackberries. Some of the plants were growing crippled leaves and
the stems were contorted. The leaves were so deformed that they resembled
crumpled balls of (green) paper. I collected leaves and stems sending a
stuffed plastic bagful to my soils lab for a tissue analysis.
The lab report came back indicating that the blackberries were copper
deficient. That was a surprise to me since there was sufficient copper in
the soil for everything else that I grow; I was just getting started growing
blackberries. Following the lab's recommendation, I added copper sulfate to
the drip irrigation water and, henceforth, all of the blackberry plants have
been growing normally.
--

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm