nafex - [NAFEX] Allelopathic Sunflowers?

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Allelopathic Sunflowers?
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 15:42:31 -0500

Sunflowers can be allelopathic to weeds and some crops, I've read. Has anyone planted them among their fruit trees? If so, what results have you had? I have a 50 foot long bed I prepared and thickly mulched to hold dwarf and miniature fruit trees. So far, I only have a Compact Stella cherry and a dwarf Shipova planted there. I'd like to plant giant and cutting sunflowers in
the rest of the bed this summer, since the ground is empty.
Doreen Howard
IL-WI Border--Zone 4b/5a