nafex - [NAFEX] Low-chill, blight resistant pears?

  • From: "Richard Frost" <frost@san.rr.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Low-chill, blight resistant pears?
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 14:07:23 -0700

Title: Message
Hi,

If possible, I would like to plant a pear tree in my garden.  My home is in San Diego, CA.  Fruit trees with < 250 chill hour requirements do well here.  Fire-blight is pervasive -- there are miles of city streets planted with flowering pear, etc. and all of them are moderately to severely infected.  I have read on nafex about the Southern Queen pear, but cannot locate information about chill hours, or availability.  The "Hood" cultivar is known for low chill hours, but I have read conflicting reports from arborists and nurseries about its blight resistance.  Some enlightenment would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Richard Frost