nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Low-chill, blight resistant pears?

  • From: "O'Barr, R. D." <topgun@otelco.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Low-chill, blight resistant pears?
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 16:33:23 -0500

Title: Message
Richard:
    I believe that Leona is a possibility for you as it does well in So. LA. It blooms early in theis frost prone area, Zone 7 where I am now located, but after more than 15 years have never had a problem with fire blightr. One small limnb maybe one year or two only  1 -2 feet long. I have it started here and had a few pears last year.
    Two men I know in LA cut down their Warren's due to insufficient fruit and with a major disease in the other instance. Something like spiriopsis(sp).
    Leona does well in Baton Rouge. It has no grit cells and great tast when ripened properly.
Good luck.