nafex - Re: [NAFEX] precocity

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: kbradley@edibleforestnursery.com, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] precocity
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 07:33:06 -0400

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:11:25 +0000, Ed Forest <edforest55@hotmail.com> wrote:

Doreen wrote:

The fungi is so expensive though, the prices have really gone up. Where do you buy your's?

Hi Doreen,

I do not buy mycorrhizal fungi anymore, it is too easy to grow yourself.

Researchers have used potted leaks for maintaining cultures of myco fungi, for the symbiotic relationship is so good. They just cut some roots and dirt off the bottom, and repot the leak with additional soil. What they cut off is used as innoculant. The leak is periodicaly cut back to extend its life.

I do not grow leaks, I use an amarylis bulb. This year it produced two flower stems with a total of 6 blooms. I have had the bulb for years. It amazes me to see such large roots. So by innoculating a plant I keep anyway, I get mycorrhizal production too.

You have to be careful not to use manmade fertilizer, as it kills off the myco fungi.

My advice... Buy a very good blend of myco fungi just once and grow it yourself.

Later,
Tom