nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Precocity

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: <kbradley@edibleforestnursery.com>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Precocity
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 20:31:30 -0500

Another thought about the precocity you are seeing in that bed. It may be that it's loaded with mycorrhizal fungi, which is instrumental in precocity in many species. Good organic practices encourage mycorrhizal spread. The trees I got from you and the Pixie Crunch were all inoculated with mycorrhizae when I planted them. I also planted a Saturn peach last May, and it's loaded with fruit already due to mycorrhizal inoculation. I'll leave a few to mature, as the tree put on good growth last summer. I've also seen perennials like peonies bloom the first spring after planting when they are inoculated with mycorrhizae. Normally, it takes at least two seasons for the first bloom after planting.
Doreen Howard