nafex - [NAFEX] precocity

  • From: "Ed Forest" <edforest55@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] precocity
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:11:25 +0000

Doreen wrote:
"Another thought about the precocity you are seeing in that bed. It may be that it's loaded with mycorrhizal fungi, . . . "

Hmmmm . . . I forgot about that, I had inoculated that bed with mycorrhizal fungi. Hmmm, hmmm, hmmm . . . time for a controlled experiment. Wait, I'm almost positive I used it on the other beds that have put out only one or two blossoms in five or six years as opposed to about ten in its third year with the one I mentioned in Nafex.
The fungi is so expensive though, the prices have really gone up. Where do you buy your's? I used to get mine from Chappies. It seems to make sense that mycorrhizal fungi would encourage bearing, perhaps giving signals that the roots are well established in the soil and that the tree is robust enough to bear crops.
Another thing, these last two years, but especially this one, seems that fruits are bearing their first crops all over the farm, young trees, old trees, trees in beds, trees in rows, trees in orchard plantings, including some trees that were planted ten years ago. I wonder if there is something going on that is similar to the bamboo flowering thing, where bamboos flower in the same year all over the world, if I recall. (Maybe its just one species of bamboo).
kevin