nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Decline in vigor of red currants

  • From: Ribes60@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Decline in vigor of red currants
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:06:48 EDT

Sam and All,

Red currants seem to go through this no matter what the origin. I have seen less of it in my Slovakian, Detvan and Tratan, though there is some there too. I think it is more due to deminished nutriants. This can be caused by competing weeds and grass or from lack of adequet applications. I do not like to feed rec currants too much early in sprin as it makes them more susceptible to wind damage. I find that divided applications, one at budbreak, and one about the time the fruit is forming or sizing seems to work better for me.

These two cultivars make a very large plant and produce very heavy yeilds, this makes them top heavy and more likely to damage from wind especially when they are wet. They produce long, well filled strigs and resist "run-off" better than most. As I shrink the size of my operation These and Rovada are the only reds I will still grow.

Ed Mashburn
Central PA Zone 5
Where the ribes are just beginning to bud